Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Long Awaited Update

Sorry I haven't updated for a bit, but our life has been pretty crazy. Since his first surgery he has had another. On January 21st Liam went in for surgery #2 to fix his Omphalocele. Jared and I were able to get to the hospital very early and see him before they took him. His surgery took about 2 and half hours and then he had an hour to recover before we could see him. He has an amazing surgeon who did a great job. They were able to get all of his insides back inside in the one operation. It was pretty tight so we are hoping that it hold together. They had to put these large re-enforcing bands to help it stay together. When they brought the skin together it also brought his colostomy and urostomy mid-line. They had to use the medication that paralyzed him again so he wouldn't move around and chance coming un-done. He was able to come out of traction so that was good. When he woke up he was very sensitive to light,noise, and movement so we were not able to take pictures once he came out of it. It was hard to "start over" again with another surgery but at least we knew what to expect. Every day I would sit by his side and wait to see his sweet little eyes open up again. He had his good days as well as his bad. He is always at risk for UTI's since he has reflux (urine goes back up to the kidneys) and a super pubic catheter still.

Liam just before surgery #2


Yes, there is a baby under all that! This is just after surgery when he was sensitive to light, that is why he has a pillow case over his eyes. He also has a pillow case wraped around his knees to keep his legs together for his hips.


After a while he was a lot less sensitive to light so we got some more pictures. He still has the cutest little feet.





Liam also has a tube called a sump. It sucks the mucus out of his belly, he has decided that he loves to suck on it when he sleeps. I came in to see him one night and heard this clicking sound, I couldn't believe it was him. Bless his heart he is so cute!! Turn the music off so you can hear him sucking, it's the cutest thing ever.


When Jared and I go to the hospital and we don't have anyone to watch the kids we each take one hour to see Liam while the other one stays down stairs with the kids, then we switch. That hour goes by so fast. I never thought I could stare at some one for a full hour, never looking away. Avery is great at making new friends. All the kids that we have met while we wait have been so sweet and all they want to do is play. Yes, Avery is dressed as Alice.


Last Sunday the 8th Liam was ready to meet the kids. He finally was finally off the ventilator and that is what I had been waiting for. I went up first to make sure he was all covered up and was done with his cares. I called Jared and he came up with the kids. They were so excited, I was crying, and Jared so patient. Liam was so aware that night, more so than he has ever been. It was also the first night we got to see him smile! Avery just talked to him and touched his hands and we looked at his feet and we explained what the feeding tube is and does. She even got to give him a kiss.




Liam is doing well. He is our little miracle. He has re-visited the OR once since his 2nd surgery to get a broviac (sp?) placed in his little chest for all his meds that he is on plus other things. He has been poked more than I like to know and gone through more than I like to tell. I know our family is being watched over and I am very thankful for that. I am also thankful for our family and friends who have been here for us. I don't know what we would do without you. Thank you.

26 comments:

jellington614 said...

I was so excited for this update!!! He looks SO good, I am so happy things are going good!!! I loved the video with his eyes open looking at the kids! So stinkin cute, you guys are amazing and still in our prayers! Keep the updates coming.

Alyson said...

I love the picture of the whole family together. I have tears just reading your blog and seeing the pictures. You guys are good parents!

Laura said...

Oh, what a beautiful little miracle! Liam is so blessed to have such a great family. I too have been waiting for this update, and I am so glad that Liam is doing so well.

DaveandAnnie said...

Oh, we love that boy! I'm so glad the kids finally got to see him. He looks great! So alert! Give him and the kids kisses from us.

Valerie said...

I'm so glad he is doing well. I loved hearing the part about Avery and Lincoln meeting him. It brought tears to my eyes too. If ever you would like to drop the kids off on your way to the hospital feel free. Sophia would love to have some playmates.

Darren and Whitnee Young said...

He is so precious! I love him! We will keep him in our prayers :)

Rachey said...

Those videos are great. He is so beautiful. I can't wait for our Liams to meet.

Valerie said...

I am so glad that his surgery went well. He is sooo cute. What a special little boy you had. I wish I was there and could help you out. I will keep praying for you.

Sean, Siri, Addie and Connor said...

He is so cute! I have been so anxious to hear how he is doing. we love you guys!

Mimi said...

He is so precious and getting bigger - I noticed his hair is growing. I didn't realize you kids hadn't been able to meet him -what a wonderfully precious and exciting moment. I love his beautiful eyes. You are in our thoughts and prayers always.

Unknown said...

I am so glad you updated! He is so cute Lin, I can't stand it. My heart is so full of love for him and I get so emotional everytime I see him. I love you and appreciate your great example of patience and love. Keep updating when you can so I can see him. Love you!

Ryan and Amy Nelsen said...

It is wonderful to see pictures of him and know that he is progressing. You guys are so amazing and such an example. THANK YOU! You're still in our prayers.

Littleshortstacks said...

Little Liam is so special, as is his family. He couldn't have been born to a more perfect and loving family. I think you are all fantastic. I know I don't live close, and we're moving, but if there is anything we can do in the next little while, I'd love to help. James isn't in school any more so we are just hanging out. If there is an afternoon we can just come and hang out with your kids so you can go to the hospital, let me know.

The Pack's said...

Yeah! Like JaNae, I was also excited to hear an update. Thanks for sharing those sweet videos & pictures of how Liam is doing. I'm glad the kids were able to see him. He looks like he is doing good despite all the tubes and medical devices hooked up to him. You will continue to stay in our prayers!

Ryan and Shalee said...

He is so dang cute. I am so glad that I could see him. I can't wait to be able to see him in person and hold him. I hope all of you are doing good. Thanks for the videos they were well needed. Oh yeah by the way, what brand is your camera??

burton family said...

I love him already and I haven't even met him! What an amazing child. I so happy to see him awake and hanging in there like a champ.

West Family said...

Thank you for sharing him with all of us. He is a miracle and we hope he continues to do well. I think of you often during this already crazy time in your life and I am amazed by your ability to handle it all. Take care!

The Busby Family said...

He is so adorable, so beautiful. What a little miracle. I can't believe all the things he has been through. I'm so glad the kids got to see him. I loved your videos. We are praying for you guys.

The Busby Family said...

He is so adorable, so beautiful. What a little miracle. I can't believe all the things he has been through. I'm so glad the kids got to see him. I loved your videos. We are praying for you guys.

Ashby said...

I'm so glad things are moving along and that the kids finally got to see their little brother. What a special moment for all of you guys! I think about you all the time, and my prayers are with you! Love and miss you guys!

The Parks said...

He is so beautiful and we are so happy that things have been working out so well for him and your family. We love the videos. You guys are seriously our heros. We talk about how well we would deal with something like that, and we know we couldn't deal with it as well as you guys. We are keeping your family in our prayers.

Catherine said...

I just read the update. You are so courageous and I wish you the best. I love you tons!
Grandma Smith
PS I had a good visit with Jackie. MC was touched that you named him Swearingen. It meant a lot to him.
PPSS I'm reading this with Catherine :)

Catherine said...

I am so glad to see this update. I didn't have a chance to comment the other day when I was with Grandma, but you are amazing to find time to update all of us on your sweet little boy. He is absolutely adorable and I love the videos you posted. I don't know how you are doing everything you are doing. You both are such amazing parents! I love you!

Cianne said...

Linzie, I was so glad for an update. I am so glad the Liam is doing so well and that he is such a fighter! Stay strong.

Brooke said...

Linzie, I just happened to see your blog link on FB and thought I'd take a look. I am so sorry for everything you have gone through! You are such strong parents and so blessed to have such a beautiful little boy. Hang in there! I am so glad that things are looking up. You are truly an inspiration.

Farmington Smiths said...

Linzie,
From an NICU RN-- WOW does he look good! I am amazed at how well he has always done! His omphaocele repair looks great. Even with the the tight fit. He is so cute and looks like such a part of your family! I wished we were closer to help you out some but know we are thinking about you with Hugs and Loves for more good days and more progress ahead! So glad to see him off the ventilator.