Saturday, October 10, 2009

Liam's Spinal Surgery

Liam had his Spinal Cord un-tethered on September 29th. The surgery was a little more complicated than the surgeon thought but it went well and was a success. We just pray that is wont re-tether. Jared's mom flew out to help with the kids so we could stay at the hospital with Liam the whole time. Thank goodness for Morphine because he was feeling this surgery. He had to stay flat for the first two days. He could roll from side to side but that was it. I felt so bad for him when we had to roll him onto his side. He got to the point that he would freak out everytime anyone other than Jared or I came into the room in fear that they were going to move him. It was a long first two days and nights. On the third day we got to hold him! Things were tender but as long as he had the Tylenol with Codeine he did great. By the end of that day we were walking the halls with him and he was smiling again. With everything that this sweet baby has gone through and has to go through, I can't believe he is still the happiest little guy ever!!! We can all learn sooo much from someone so small.

Liam before he went back to surgery, he was so mad because we couldn't feed him. His little hospital outfit was so cute, I totally brought it home to add to his memory box.



He had a hard time waking up after all was said and done, but as soon as he got the pain meds he was off to slumber land. It was so hard not being able to hold him then.


By the second night he was doing a little better, but not much. Day three was a lot better, we would roll him onto his side and set up the lap top with baby eintstein videos and he would suck his thumb and watch the whole movie. We got to come home the morning of day four and he was soooo ready! He loved playing with his IV.



Here he is watching his movie. Here is his cute little bum and his incision, it was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be. He can't have a "real" bath for a month, just a sponge bath. Liam is not a fan :)




Liam finally out of bed :)

11 comments:

Lyssa said...

He is so sweet! I can tell that he has angels around him all the time. What a strong little boy with a strong spirit.

Mimi said...

So glad you could stay at the hospital with him. What a sweetie-pie. Glad the surgery is over and that it went well. Think of you often!

RSP said...

I knew this was coming, but didn't exactly know when. I am glad that it went relatively well. We are thinking of your family and little Liam all the time. We miss your guts!

Deanne said...

Liam is such a sweet little guy. I'm glad the surgery went well!

burton family said...

I'm so glad he is doing good. His incision looks great (not that that means anything). What a sweet little buddy.

DaveandAnnie said...

I love that boy and his cute little bum!!! I wish I could just hold him. I'm still singing, "The Primary Colors are 1-2-3, shhhhh... be still." HAHAHAHAH!!!

Holly said...

I love the cute little bum shot!! Linzie - your kids are so adorable! We missed you at the wedding!

Christina Huling said...

I am so glad everything went well! Somehow I just didn't realize it was so soon and I can't believe I missed it! I hope you and Liam are well. I'm here for you to take the kids anytime you want to spend with Liam! luvs! He looks so sweet in these pics. He has so much heart!

Denisse said...

You guys are such a great family! Liam is an inspiration to us all!:) We are so happy everything went well with his surgery!

Ryan and Shalee said...

I'M SO GLAD HE IS DOING SO WELL. CAN YOU NOT COME HOME ANY SOONER?? I WAS SO BUMMED WE DIDN'T SEE YOU BEFORE. THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR EMAIL I GOT IT. STILL HAVE HEARD BACK FROM YOU THOUGH....

Jake & Candice Root said...

What a tuff little guy! Bless his heart. We're so glad that you are all home now. We love you all!